Thursday, February 09, 2006

Which Smartphone is best?

I know they are many smart phones out there, and new smart phones are scheduled to come out, so it is sometimes very confusing to choose a phone that is right for you.

First let's ask the question why buy a smart phone and who buy them? Someone who uses PDA, cell phone, emailing and web surfing will want a device that does all this and more. These days, everyone seemed to use PDAs and cell phones including professionals and teenagers. In fact, everyone these days are in search of a perfect phone that does it all.

I bought my first pda back around 7 years ago and it was palm IV. I loved it. However it did not have internet access and it was not a phone. I had to carry it because i had all my contacts plus my appointments. When Blackberry came out, I got that because I wanted to get my email anywhere. It was however not a cell phone. When T-mobile came out with sidekick, I had to get that because it had everything. First it was a phone, had internet access and was great email device. It sucked as a appointment device, and as a cell phone, however.
After using it for 6 month I went back to carrying regular cell phone and PDA.
I tried Sidekick 2 and I kinda like it but still it was not fully there.
Next I tried Blackberry phone 7105t. Good email phone, not a good phone, not a good web browser.

My friend had Treo 650 so I had opportunity to play with that phone for a while. First Browser was one of the best. I did not think it was fast enough to do real surfing but that was limitation of band width not the software. Phone was not too uncomfortable which meant it was the best feeling out there. Email and appointment program was the good, however I preferred Pocket pc interface only because I was used to it. All my contact was in myToshiba pocket pc and I did not want to change just yet.

I heard about Q from Motorola and wanted to get this phone that was until I learned that Treo 700w had something that I could not live without. A new 3G EVDO radio in Treo 700w allows DSL-like speed on Verizon’s network. Finally I could surf the web comfortably, use the phone comfortably, and use outlook for appointments and emails. Only drawback was that I had to pay 79.99 for the verizon service which was $20 more per month than I was paying. I decided it was worth it.

Q from Motorola which is suppose to come out end of next month, I believe will do well initially, however once people realize that Treo 700w has DSL connection for web, they will select TREO 700w. I know I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home