Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Cable vs. DSL

I had a Verizon DSL since they first offered the service in my area, back5 years ago. I was one of those guys who had to have the fastest and the latest. So when I got my DSL, I was truly thrilled. I was paying $39.95 a month with small mystery fee of $1.22. Total cost was $41.17. After many years of service, I decided to give Time Warner Cable a try. Main reason of course was because I just had to have the meanest and fastest internet access.

Next 3 weeks I had both DSL and Cable installed on my home office. I wanted to make sure I was getting what I wanted so I did many tests. I wanted to make sure one I kept was faster and more reliable. During 5 years of service of DSL, many times I had to reboot my DSL modem. Sometimes load time was getting slower and slower as day progress, and it was getting frustrating. During these 3 weeks, I found Time Warner Cable to be noticeably faster.

I have been warned by many people, and read many articles, that if many people around you have cable, internet access will be slower. DSL however does not matter. Fortunately for me, this was not the case.

I also wanted to point out that my transition period was very smooth. Installation service man came out and I was up and running within ½ an hour. He were friendly and professional. After working with both DSL and Cable for 3 weeks, my choice was clear. Time Warner cable.

When I called to cancel Verizon DSL, I was told by service representative that they were willing to give me faster access if I stayed with them. When I told them I have already installed Cable, they told me that I should be able to switch back to DSL without penalty fee. Now here is something that made me pissed. I have been their loyal customer for 5 years. Not once did they offer me this until I decided to go with Time Warner. I told them I am sticking with Cable for NOW.
I guess I just did not want to haggle with the Verizon customer representative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home